The hardest part of upsetting habits and switching to a healthier way of eating, from my own experience, is the planning and preparation. As the caretaker of my family, this responsibility falls on me. I believe the health and quality of life my husband and son have is directly proportional to the amount of effort I put forth to ensure their meals are healthful. So this conviction keeps me going and helps me stay out of the drive-thru.
When I'm tired and am tempted to just do what's easy, I remember the wife of noble character from the 31st Proverb.
"She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
all the days of her life.
She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
and works with eager hands.
She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
bringing her food from afar.
She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants."
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants."
As I reflect on this, I'm immediately thankful. Obviously technology has advanced tremendously, making the homestead a lot less labor intensive. Also I don't have any servants so I've got even less to do. Ha.
What really stands out to me is the effort this wife puts forth for her family. Surely she was tired at times. Surely there were moments she wished to do things that were more enjoyable. But she worked with eager hands. Because this type of effort isn't required in our convenience-enhanced society, it's easy to get by with a lot less work. But at what cost? I can't help but wonder. This isn't a scientific blog, but a quick Google search can provide you with a lot of information about the correlation between the modern diet and the prevalence of modern disease.
Let me be clear, I do not have it all together. I don't get up while it is still night, and I'm not even 100% sure what flax is. But I do know, that God has called me to take care of my family, and this blog is about that effort. I pray to bring him good, not harm, all the days of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment